View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 AM

Default Recovery + DAC 2V2 SE

Hi. The Recovery does alter the sound in my system - seemingly more so since the upgrade.

The system is: Pure Music 3 - Recovery - DAC 2V2 SE - Wyred ST1000 - Usher Be718s (GR crossovers - Be tweeters) + Usher stands + REL Storm III; Wireworld cables.

Interestingly, with the 'Series 1' DAC 2 DSD SE, I was doubtful that the Recovery did much at all. If anything, when first installed I was concerned that the Recovery made things a little "tighter" in a bad way - maybe a little added detail at the expense of naturalness. But, having experienced break-in previously, I left things alone and the sound returned to its previous relaxed involving tone. Swapping it in and out later made me think it was not doing much, but maybe there was a slight gain in clarity.

The upgraded DAC returned a week ago. Starved of music for three weeks (it was shipped to and from Australia), I've been listening lots. And have been motivated to slip the Recovery in and out of the chain. Without the Recovery, the system is still clearly and markedly improved by the upgraded DAC. Wow - good job Wyred. With the Recovery in place, I hear a better defined bass, with more punch and colour. Imaging is more precise. Perhaps the highs are a little less lush - but I don't trust my own judgement here - really, either with or without the Recovery, the highs are fabulous.

Just to keep these differences in perspective. I would say the upgrade from DAC2 DSD SE to DAC 2V2 SE is a "plus 10", in some arbitrary unit; while the adding the Recovery to the chain is a "plus 1" or a "plus 2". Still "plus 2" is not nothing - and I'm leaving it in for now.

I'm going to let the DAC fully burn in for a few weeks, and then do the Recovery in/out listening tests again.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers, Rob