View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Never owned McIntosh, so I am a lurker. But I have always admired their integrated amplifiers as well as the D1100.
So, add a line-level analog input or two to the D1100.
I believe that you have hit upon a hole in the Mac lineup. I have felt for a long time that Mac needs a minimalist reference level solid state preamp akin to the tube C1100, i.e. a minimalist 2-piece dual mono reference level solid state preamp. I never liked tubes or vinyl growing up. I liked tape much better and loved my dad's Tanberg 64X tape deck. Back then you could buy prerecorded tapes which sounded better than vinyl by far. I did not like record scratch, rumble, and having to constantly clean the vinyl and the needle and deal with replacing tubes and the heat. I understand why folks like tubes and vinyl. They have a more natural sound but I think if you look at the really expensive high end like Dag, Burmester, Boulder, Accuphase, or Esoteric, most of it is solid state. There's a reason for this. It is very difficult to achieve live performance sound levels with tubes other than with highly efficient horn speakers and solid state these days is very very good and very convenient. Mac are you listening?

Last edited by Charles; 01-25-2019 at 05:20 AM.