View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smatsui324 View Post
Hi Serge,
Congratulations on finding your endgame headphones! Which of your amps do you like best with the Auteurs and what is your source and DAC for headphone listening?
They sound great with all the amps but my preference is for tubes with the Auteurs. The 300 ohm impedance lends itself very well to tubes. PrimaLuna is magic but I have to sit next to my rack so I don't indulge in that very often. Most of the time it is my Woo WA6 on my desktop. The WA6 is driven by the Audeze Deckard Class A variable output stage and the internal DAC. Two factors here, the built in Audeze DAC is very smooth and musical and the Class A variable output allows me to fine tune the input voltage to the Woo amp and adjust the gain on both amps for a better match.

On some recordings it sounds noticeably better being able to lower the input and use more gain from the Woo volume pot, on some it is the other way around. The output impedance of the Woo amp as the volume pot is turned interacts with the impedance of the Auteurs and often if I just tweak it back and forth between the two amps, it sounds phenomenal. I learned that trick from playing around with the "pre-gain" settings of my German built Violectric headphone amp.