View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 AM

I am not an 'expert' in electrical circuits. I have no technical abilities and training to 'explain' the question you are having with what I am doing using multiple resistors (three, with three times the resistance, so the result is equal to one resistor with more current flow. Beyond saying it is helpful, theory is going to have to come from someone with more schooling in electronics. If I tried it would just be made up from the small (tiny) amount I know of electronics theory.
What I can say is: The fact each individual resistor can carry TEN watts. (a measure of power) Three in parallel means the total three resistors can dissipate THIRTY watts (without heating up). Thirty is bigger than ten. A larger safety allowance. Curiously it also allows more detail, faster attack.

It is true the resistors are relatively high tolerance. 5%. it is possible to check them and use them in a way where the variation works out to be pretty even.
If it worries you, and you do not have the ability to check them (since really small impedance can be hard to measure. Other quality resistors, like Path Audio are also good, and available in 1% tolerances. (I have just ordered some of the Path resistors, Though they are said to have a long 100hr breakin period! I am determined to try them too.)

Finally my experiments are just experiments. Other folks who might try to just copy exactly what I am doing may not end up happy. The resistance which works in other Magnepan based could be very different than what works in mine.(in conjunction with their own electronics, and taste)

As you found, Google search is becoming worse every day.. trying to become all things, it fails to do the basics.
I did a more refined search, and can offer links:
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...Al_Sekela.html
And there is a whole pile of threads at the link at bottom of that page for more responses to the choke tweak
Those should allow you to delve further if you wish

I would say unless you feel comfortable with the tweak do not do it! Basically it is limiting the ultra high frequency.. Since the Magnepan ribbon works at frequencies well over 50,000 Hz*, reducing the current at those frequencies may, or may not improve the sound at normal audio frequencies, Since it also depends on the amplifier connected to the speakers.And the ultra HF signal that amp may, or may not be passing along to the speaker.

* reported in Stereophile 3.3 review, measurements and test results. graph of the frequency response out to 50,000 hz shows the Magnepan ribbon tweeter still good and response not dropping off at the limit of the test equipment at 50,000 hz. (this is basically the same ribbon in the 20 20.1 20.7 and 3.7i Magnepan speakers.)

ADDED: Just wanted to mention... Today, for first time in awhile (two months?) Played Decca collected Count Basie (3CD) sound was much better. Never before seemed so real. Definitely the attack, and general 'thereness' was exceptional (compared to last time played it a couple of months ago, otherwise same system.)

Last edited by Beet Farmer; 04-22-2019 at 06:27 PM.