View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 AM

Well I have somewhere around 50 hours or so on the 585 now and it has gotten a little better, but the major improvements seem to have come in the first 20 hours. At this point it is safe to say this was a HUGE upgrade over the Krell/PS Audio combination. I am completely happy with the sound this simple system is producing. I have borrowed other integrated amps and preamps that have a DAC built in from my local store and always felt their performance was compromised, not so with how they have implemented the DAC in this unit.

I'm not very good at describing things, but compared to my previous setup there is way more detail, soundstage layering and placement is way better, and there is absolutely no digital "harshness" that I have heard in many other preamps/integrated amps that have a DAC built in to them. The largest improvements in the unit over the past 50 hours have been in the bass. At first the unit sounded a bit "thin" but now the texture in kick drums has really come out and there is a weight and control to the bass that I didn't have before. Everything just sounds so clean. I guess if I had to sum it up everything sound remarkably smooth and effortless.

While large stacks of equipment are impressive looking and certainly fun to own, I love the simplicity allowed by a nice all in one component. Am I worried about the built in DAC being outdated? Nope, if that ever does happen I can just get a stand alone DAC. I will enjoy this setup for a long time I think, really my only plan would be to add a Bluesound unit and a Tidal subscription to provide a higher quality streaming experience.

There are different filter settings for the digital inputs (Fast, Slow, Minimum Phase), and have currently set it to Slow, but may play around with this a bit more. There is also a Clari-Fi feature which is designed to reconstruct lost information when playing compressed audio files which has an adjustment range of 1-10, I have left that setting off. It also has home theater passthrough options and a high pass filter that sets an 80hz 12db/oct slope on the speaker outputs which I have yet to play with.

Features wise, this integrated pretty much has all I want and more. It is missing headphone output and there are no phono inputs, so those may be deal breakers for some. For me in my system it is perfect and I am totally happy with it. It is not the cheapest integrated amp out there, but for all the features it packs and its performance I would consider it a relative bargain.