View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Yes, great review! And, I too, noticed the "foreseeable" thrown in there. AA's have to hedge one's bets!

Questions. (I can look these up, I'm sure, but thank you in advance!) Is the modification route only with tubes? I'm not used to dealing with tubes and am frankly a little nervous dealing with that whole thing. Also, does one buy the unit directly from them, or do you send them your unit? I'm sure the answer to the latter is that they'll modify one your already have or you can buy directly.
John - the MW Oppo 95 was the first unit I had owned with tubes. I am still very much a tube newbie. The modified 95/105 with the external power supply are very easy to deal with and you would have nothing to be nervous about. I ordered a set of Sophia Electric 6SN7 tubes to replace the stock Electro-Harmonix tubes as Dan recommended them to me, and they made for a nice upgrade in performance!

The modification route for the 105 is only with tubes at this point. Dan did do a solid state mod for the 95 and previous 83/83SE players, but decided at least in the short term that the performance/value wasn't as high to do it for the 105.

You can purchase a 105 new from Oppo and have it sent directly to ModWright to have the modifications performed if you don't own one already. I don't believe they maintain much if any existing stock.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions - hope that helps!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables