View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Serge, I'll try to translate the most important points of the review:

-Overall type of sound: similar to the 650, so previous 650 owners will feel "at home".
-Tighter bass, more detail, so that you hear the individual instruments better; you get better insight without losing musicality.
-Easier to drive (300 to 150 Ohm)
-More comfortable to wear

Phonitor 2 amplifier was used. Source: ???
Yes, that sounds like a "generalized" observation/comparison. I think Tyll typically digs on a much deeper level than most reviewers and there is obviously an emotional component of his admiration for the 600/650. The SPL Phonitor should not be a drastic variable here. I know Tyll uses the Sim Audio Moon 430, the Bottlehead Crack and typically the Headroom amp which I believe was his own design years ago? The SPL Phonitor is from the "Pro audio" series of components meant for studio use, much like Lake People/Violectric but Germans do tend to add a bit of warmth to their amps.

It is pretty clear that anyone new to the Sennheiser would never make the connection of what is better or worse about the 660s but if you lived with the 600 sound for over two decades now, well... there is quite a bit of an emotional attachment there and anything different may be "worse".