View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Steve Guttenberg - Are subwoofers bad for music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwJOXwMcw8
You know I get what he is saying for a media room I think we all can agree with the need for subs. He goes on to point out that for music listening he is not a big fan of subs. There can be all kinds of issues with integrating subs with your main speakers and particularly if you are overlapping them with your main speakers. Not sure I agree that a 5' cone will produce enough bass as air must be moved but in my opinion its not.

My most recent experience was with Martin Logan Summit X's and Descent i subs. I played around and played around and although I liked the added bottom end just was not happy with the results. Eventually moved on to the CLX and the newer 212 subs.

First off with the CLX there is no overlapping with the bass which I think is significant on its own. Add to that the custom cross over that ML supplies and then the PBK kit for the sub all that makes a world of difference. I can't say enough how the PBK kit has improved the bass. When you really think of it without some type of correction to your room you are not going to have stellar results. The other couple of things that help is go with two subs instead of one that does make a difference and also get the phase set correctly. Setting the correct phase has always been a mystery to me but once I found a method that made sense to me and applied it boy does it work. Also good room treatments are a must for good bass. I was surprised at the rear wall how much that made a difference.

Lastly is the volume to set the subs at. That I agree is a very time consuming task and as this progressed I moved the knob like a micrometer.