View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
I'm not a current Wilson owner, but the Sophia3's really have my attention. Speaker placement of course is crucial to getting the best sound, and I've only ever seen Wilson's demo'd close to a front wall. When my dealer set up my Avalons, he used the "Sumiko" setup method and we ended up with the speakers about 1/3 into the room (from front wall), with me sitting about 1/3 into the room from the rear wall. (Makes sense to me considering how much of music is about 3rds and 5ths.) I don't know anything about the Wilson method, so I'm curious if anyone has Wilson speakers out into the room vs. near the front wall (I'll leave the question of sidewall out for now.) I have a room shaped like a very, very bold "L" and via the Sumiko method the setup is less than perfectly symetrical but soundstaging and imaging works perfectly given the odd shape of the room. Can anyone (with experience with both) compare and contrast the Sumiko setup method vs. the Wilson method?
I have experience with 4 Sonus Faber and 3 Wilson pairs of speakers.

You'll find that Sumiko's setup works very well for Sonus Faber speakers which are in themselves much more difficult to position than Wilson. If you follow Wilson WASP method, you'll quickly discover that it works very well for Wilson speakers and not so great for Sonus Faber... Wilson is simply more forgiving due to their inert cabinets and overall design that couples much less to the walls even though they have more bass authority.

I've struggled many times with Sonus Faber and continue to work hard on my current Elipsa models in a fully treated room while the Sophia 3s are simply singing along in a bare room...

Follow WASP for Wilson and you will discover that they really don't need much space around them and you can get away with less room, closer positioning to walls and less treatments in the room with outstanding results.