View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
So what were some of the best and worst sound at the show this weekend (all IMO of course).

WORST BANG FOR THE BUCK: the Verity Monsevalt room......was it impressive? Sure. Was it loud? Absolutely. Would it blow the average person's mind? Most definitely. Was it worth $1.4 million dollars? You've got to be kidding me.

BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK: the Dali/NAD room. A very simple NAD integrated amplifier coupled with a streamer/DAC and two new models from DALI....all for around $2500 I believe. Just stunning.

WORST SOUND AT SHOW: the Rethm speakers....they were just awful, at least in this setup.

BEST SOUND AT SHOW: the VAC/Von Schweikert room. This was the perfect balance between big yet not in your face and delicate sound. Totally smooth bass, extended highs and while the speakers were spaced too far apart, they still imaged almost perfectly. Only caveat here is that of course this should be the case for close to a million dollars. Can't wait for some of these to start showing up on the used market, hopefully soon!

REAL WORLD CHOICE FOR BEST SOUND AT SHOW: This would be the category of best sound while still keeping prices at a (somewhat) reasonable level.

The Tidal/Vimberg room. These speakers retail for $29,000 and sounded better than 98% of everything else at the show. They were in a medium sized room and played some of the most lifelike jazz I've heard. Simply perfect for the price.
Agreed. My word, the Vimbergs were producing some sweet music. What impressed me most about them was the amount and quality of bass they were producing at very moderate sound levels. These would be so nice to sit back and chill out for hours listening to music.