View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Thanks Stephen. Nice write up !
I would have loved to see a pic of the whole system.
I am not sure if I agree with the lack of extreme bass and light inability to deliver very heavy dynamics of SET amps. I have heard 5W SET amps which were sounding incredible on the adequate speakers ( Audio Note and Verdier 300B ).
Shindo's more powerful PP amps allow pairing with much more speakers of various impedances / sensitivity but of course choice is more limited than with big tube or SS amps. And yes, they sound magic too.
The connection with the music with Shindo gear is unique.
It would be very interesting to try this Monbrison in your home and see what it does compared to your CJ preamp.
My belief : conventional companies cannot spend the time and efforts Shindo did while selecting components by ear. Most of the time, the big companies select products based on tech spec and reliability. Not sound.
So the difference in sound that you get between Shindo and most brands is not small. It is huge.
Shindo does not sound like anything else and yet, it is not "warm" or colored in any way.
Wether you like it or not is an other story.
But my guess was that you would feel this "magic".

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Hi Jerome,
I certainly would love to hear the system with other speakers efficient enough to be used with a Shindo SET based system, As mentioned, DeVore or Zu speakers would be interesting to listen to on the system.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.