View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 PM

Default Yes, the Statement should be an interesting option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
I am very anxious to see the new Statement series. EJ's description sounds impressive. And from what I understand a completely new designed class D amplifier. Something that no one else uses.

Check out this review...

Best Of RMAF 2015: Wyred4Sound Statement, KEF Blade Two | DAR__KO

I know that EJ has purchased a pair of KEF Reference 3 speakers to use for demos and shows moving forward. I really want to listen to these but... not setup yet ....

BTW- W4S does indeed do work with A/B amplifiers, under the SST label. Some may know the name Ampzilla and Son of Ampzilla. These are built by and I believe owned by EJ. They share the facility in Atascadero. Therefore it is not that they do not make other types of amplifiers. He has designed newer and what he feels are better amplifier designs in class D. I have not as of yet done direct comparisons to my Goldmund. At some point I would like to.
Hi Randy;
A few thoughts:
1) I really wish Wyred had the Statement products available when I was searching for amps to replace mySX-1000's. I had completed my speaker search after 18 months and found I agreed with EJ. I bought the KEF Blade Two's along with the Reference C4 center and Reference 1's for surrounds. I am beyond pleased with these speakers. I started using them with the SX-1000's and the Blades, with their revealing nature, demonstrated how the SX-1000's were not really up to the task, for my ears. That is why I attempted to get the speak with EJ and figure out a way to beta the Statement. But unlike my previous purchase when I dealt directly with EJ, he was being protected by the sales staff who refused to let me speak with him. Thats a great way to start the process of losing a customer, which is exactly what happened.
2) Yes, I was aware of the Ampzilla. It was never a smooth sweet amp like the Ayre so I can understand why EJ would feel his newer mINT and mAMP might sound better than the Ampzilla. But after hearing the mAMP in my home I realized that wasn't the answer for me.
3) The new Class D module being developed by EJ might be the best thing since sliced bread. But without the ability to hear it I was not willing to wait until the amp is eventually ready, whenever that will be...`but really, should we expect it to be superior to the Mola Mola, D'Agistino, Levinson or Theta?? Remember Wyred is still a value product so for the anticipated price in the neighborhood of $3,500 I am sure it will be a class leader. But its quite a stretch to think it will compete amps costing 2 or more than 10 x as much. Thats not a knock on a $3,500 amp but lets be realistic here. The SX-1000 was a great amp for the price but there is a limit to the sound quality relative to other amps I have listened to, even if those other amps cost significantly more (Mc, Aestetix, Moon, Theta, Prima Luna, Classe, Rogers, Ayre).
I was not seeking the best Class D amp. I was seeking the best amp for my system and my ears regardless of class. In the end that was not Wyred although they had the advantage of incumbency heading into the process.
4) I have been using the Wyred USB > SPDIF converter. On a lark I brought home a Berkeley USB > SPDIF/AESEBU converter. Once again, same results! The Wyred product was very good for the price but in an A/B comparison there was a clear difference between the two converters that anybody could hear through the Blade Two's that strongly favored the Berkeley.

I have been enjoying audio since learning how to listen to a system as a young boy. My father had classic Marantz tube equipment with amazing monitoring speakers designed in the 50's by the head of RCA Acoustics division, Harry Olsen. I still remember listening to chamber music and piano concertos on that system.
Now, with over 50+ years of experience in this hobby I know the sound signature I am after. But, of course, that only applies to my ears and my audio sensibilities. That's why I can't say my choice should be yours or anybody else's choice.
I have a few systems so I will stay open to what Wyred creates in the future to see if there is a fit when the need arises. I am curious to hear what EJ would create if budget were not a concern.
Happy listening!!
popspin