View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Default Venom NR v10 meets original Hydra

Imagine my surprise when a UPS driver showed up at my door an hour ago and asked me to sign for a package...from Poulsbo. I wasted no time in opening it and extracting its contents, a Venom NR v10 power cord with the twist-lock connector necessary to hook up my bedroom system's original-version Hydra. In short order, off came the stock 19-year-old Sidewinder cord and on went the Venom--with vise-tight connections at both the conditioner and the wall outlet (a PS Power Port).

I've spent only about 45 minutes spot-listening to Berlioz, Copland, Morton Gould, Prokofiev, and Turtle Creek Choir rips and downloads as the Venom "settles", but it's already apparent that the noise reduction and other technology built into the power cord unleashes more of the actual program embedded in those recordings--specifically, more immediacy or "presence" in presentation; more solid, better-defined lower end; more refined, less "tizzy" top end; expanded, more nuanced venue inner space; and punchier dynamics. The sum of it is that the speakers "disappear" further into the woodwork, bringing the listeners closer to the performance.

Why am I smiling? Well, because that's not the end of it. I have another NR v10 due in for the DAC.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Venom NR v10 1 32.jpg (97.5 KB, 161 views)

Bedroom:
Aurender N150-->Bryston BDA-3-->EMIA Elmaformer Cu passive line stage-->conrad-johnson MF2500-->Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Wireworld Eclipse IC and SC
Shunyata Delta D6, Alpha XC, Delta NR v.2, Alpha USB; Altaira CG Hub
Stillpoints Aperture II; Ultra SS; Ultra Mini
GIK Monster; 242
Butcher Block Acoustics Maple Platforms

Last edited by Masterlu; 07-10-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo