View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
...You could look for a sub without any active eq or room correction and see what their group delay is...
UPDATE: Here's what I pried out of Totem Acoustic tech support re. the KIN Sub:

1) "The Kin sub does NOT incorporate a high pass filter [in its speaker pass-through] as we feel the added filters disrupt the main loudspeakers overall balance."

2) "The [sub-woofer cross-over] slope is a 12 octave design."

3) "If the subwoofer is in line with your front loudspeakers and your RCA interconnect is less than 10Ft there shouldn’t be any time delay in relation to your front loudspeakers.... It's not a DSP crossover network."

Sounds to me as though these guys are trying to ease integration with conventional main speakers in the absence of an external crossover with variable time delay. I read the above as (1) there's no advantage to using the speaker-level connection over the line-level sub-out connection, (2) the slope is as good a match to my Beovox M-70's as any, and (3) there's probably no need to move the sub closer to the listening location.

Totem also makes several larger sub-woofers, some with "passive radiators," but I don't know yet if these also have the same cross-over described above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
...at least a 12” driver and/or passive radiatior combo...
What's with these "passive radiators" anyhow? Is this somehow different from having a ported, as opposed to sealed, cabinet? Can they still maintain smooth frequency and phase response, yet radiate more acoustic power, this way? -- Clark2