View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Heard JBL L100 at the dealer with Revel Performa (I believe new Be) in the "Harmon" room. Performa were towers, don't remember which models, located closer to center with JBL just on on the outside. Harmon rep was there for the dealer "Expo". He was there to introduce new Performa series.

Revels sounded detailed, just like I would expect from a Beryllium tweeter. A bit edgy even in a fully treated room, again like I would expect from a Beryllium tweeter. Tight base. So then I asked to demo JBL, knowing nothing about them.
These things to my ears, walked all over much more expensive and advanced Revels. Sound was warm, even though JBL use aluminum tweeter, wide soundstage, impactful base. They did have a little of that throw back sound of big box KLH speakers I remember at BestBuy way back - but with the sophistication and finesse you expect from modern designs.

Highly recommend a listen. Oh, and I absolutely loved the fun grill choices and real wood finish. "Harmon" rep was perplexed that throughout the day multiple people preferred much cheaper JBL to the cutting edge Performa Be towers. He was blaming it on a better position of L100 relative to Performa.