View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bILLwOJO View Post
If you want a really good website with info on just about any audio tube ever made check out the Brent Jessee tube website.
I have a growing collection of tubes, both power and signal tubes. Some are new modern tubes that came with amp's that I purchased but most are older used tubes that I have scavenged from flea markets,yard sales and tube buddies. I have never failed to improve the sound of any amp or preamp section by replacing the newer reissued tubes with better vintage tubes. There is a big difference between the two.
The site I referenced gives a run down of all the different types for each tube model.
I run vintage GE 6L6GC tubes in the power section of my MC 40 mono blocks and Telefunken signal tubes in all sockets except the 12BH7, they are vintage Sylvania's.
I could not be happier with the sound of my Mac's.
My Denise Had Inspire SE Fire Bottle amp came with reissue KT66's tubes and I pulled them after listening to them. Replaced with the closest thing I had, some 6L6GC RCA black plates, what a difference! Rolled in some GT EL34 and ran them for a few days, replaced with some vintage Mullard EL34 tubes. What a difference!
With the class of gear that you have, you owe it to yourself to look beyond new production tubes. The nice thing about small signal tubes is that they can last a very, very long time. It's not uncommon to find a vintage Mac tube amp with the OEM tubes still in it.

BillWojo
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm an inveterate researcher, so I'm planning to check the website out.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks