View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 AM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, a question. Does anyone have experience with Black Sable Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes? If so, how did they seem to you?

I put this out there because I looked at Tube Depot's comparison and, according to that, the Sovteks compare favorably ("on paper," as it were) to Gold Lions. The GLs should be quieter at high volumes, but the Sovteks rate higher in headroom, sensitivity, slightly higher in signal gain, and are even with the GLs in tonal balance. Another interesting note is that the GLs are described as having a "faithful" low-end response, whereas the Sovteks are described as having a "full" low-end response (the JJ's low end is described similarly, and that is why my curiosity is piqued). Plus, they're cryogenically treated.

The Sovteks are about $5 more than the GLs, but may be worth a shot. Still, real experience is better than the ratings, which is why I asked if someone here has heard them. I said I had no intentions of becoming a bonafide tube roller, but this may put me on that path if I'm not careful.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 06-05-2016 at 12:37 PM.