View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 03:32 PM

Default Reconditioning Cabinet Finish

The first thing I will start with is let's talk about cleaning up those nasty 50 year old cabinets...

I am simply discussing what I did off the bat with my new speakers to clean them up and restore much of the beauty of the original finish but I need to add a disclaimer here... if you are uncomfortable with any of this please do not attempt. I'd also recommend testing any of these steps on a well-hidden location so if you are not happy with the results they are not visually exposed. You are warned that any of these recommendations are ultimately at your own risk, and I accept absolutely no responsibility for damage you may cause.

With that out of the way... I first recommend removing a half of century of grime, dirt, and wax build-up using Murphy's Oil Soap with a soft washcloth or microfiber. This stuff is very concentrated so go with the dilution directions (I made mine a little more concentrated) in a bowl with warm water. Squeeze out any excess and clean the exterior being sure to squeeze out the dirty water often and being sure to not have the cloth too sopping wet. Be warned the dirt that you clean off may shock you! Eww, disgusting!

After you let the cleaning step dry thoroughly I recommend using Howard's Restore-A-Finish in the color closest to your existing finish. It does not stain the wood and the exact color is not critical - it contains a bit of dye to color match any scratches, dings, or gouges you may have. Just follow-the instructions on the can in a well ventilated area. If your finish is close to mint - other than perhaps a few water spots or sun bleaching (lucky you!) - then go ahead and use a gentle cloth. For the rest of us with 50 years of micro damage then apply with 0000 steel wool - the finest, gentlest grade. Start off with light pressure going with the grain, and continue using common sense increasing the number of applications and pressure as you deem appropriate. I found that I could use more pressure than I originally thought, and probably ended up doing it 3-4 times. Prepare to be amazed! There's a reason this is the dirty little secret that many antique furniture dealers use to restore and preserve their antiques.

Lastly, I used Howard's Feed-N-Wax beeswax and orange oil polish and conditioner to protect the wood.

Good job! I bet you didn't realize how nice the cabinets could look, huh?! No more cup and pottery rings or minor sun fading. What happened to all of those minor scratches and nicks?! Nice!

Last edited by junker; 08-30-2015 at 07:26 PM.