View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
I strongly suggest getting a good teacher. For one thing, teachers can help you to avoid bad habits/technique (sloppy left hand positions, finger angle, right hand picking techniques, etc.) and believe me, once an error becomes ingrained, it's really hard to correct! Also, it might sound simple, but don't practice mistakes! Mindlessly repeating a passage is worthless and once again can ingrain a problem. Analyze what makes the passage difficult or not sound good. Is it a position shift? Awkward chord fingering? Lack of smoothness? I had one of my students videotape his picking in a difficult riff, then he slowed it down upon playback, which revealed inconsistent attacks: he basically wasn't holding his pick firmly enough! Before this level of analysis, he just kept repeating it and it never got much better.
Thanks.....good info......since you're an instructor, hope this isn't a dumb question, but is there any kind of test, activity or anything that can tell a student ahead of time whether or not they will be coordinated enough to play the guitar well or does it really boil down to instruction and practice? I see so many people, casually and professionally play and I think to myself, man, I wonder if my left hand is capable of this? I guess everything looks impossible before you begin, but I'd sure love to know.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3