View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Go Dawgs

Default Any Guitar Players here? Thinking of starting.

So I was seriously thinking of starting guitar lessons. Other than a brief stint in elementary school, I've never played an instrument, so I figure better late than never, right? My 8 year old won a Fender Squire guitar and started lessons but of course isn't exactly dying to practice every day, so I thought it would be pretty cool if it was something that we could learn together.

My favorite instrument when it comes to listening to music, especially on a good recording is electric guitar, although I'm torn between whether I like the Fender sound (Hendrix, SRV, David Gilmour) or the Gibson Les Paul sound (Slash, Joe Bonamassa, Jimmy Page) better.

I thought I would ask some of the forum members about their guitar journey and whether or not anyone has some great advice for a beginner like me (other than practice practice practice.....I understand that's the number one thing so we can skip that). With my love for music, I think that the interest will stay with me, I understand very basic music theory, I don't think I'll have trouble memorizing chords etc.......what I'm most afraid of is that I wonder if I'm coordinated enough to learn to play well. My left hand pretty much sucks at anything, but I think that if I can handle the physical part of playing than I'll be OK. What is some advice/stories if any out there?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3