View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Born-again audiophile

Default How do speakers age? Heresy II

I've always been a Klipsch fan having grown up with them in my Dad's system. Right now I'm trying to figure the best way to have excellent, but not necessarily exceptional, sound in my workshop. This is a big room, about 900 sq ft, and very lively (all wood surfaces, if not glass or metal). Being a dusty woodshop I don't want anything fancy, so the idea of old speakers makes sense. They will be suspended from beams off the ceiling, not on the floor. For this room bookshelf speakers may be too small (I'm using some now). Need to listen to good tunes all day without fatigue. I'm driving with a perfectly working/restored older Adcom amp at 200 watts/ch.

I'm looking at a pair of Heresy II speakers on Craigslist that might just fit the bill. It makes me wonder how speakers age. What fails first? What to watch out for if no obvious sound distortions? These were highly regarded in their day and I bet I would have loved them when new. How much does sound quality change over time?

I know SQ is completely a personal choice so we don't need to go down that path, just wondering if there is experience as to these holding up.

Thanks,

JR
C2700, Bryston SP3, MC2301's, MC205, Sonus Faber Amati Futura's mains, SF center, Klipsch Sur/Back, JL F113, VPI Classic III, MR87, Pioneer Kuro plasma monitor, Oppo BDP-105, Sonos Port with W4S mod, Bryston BIT20.[/SIZE][/COLOR]