View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Ken...you have a killer system. The JL-1s are killer amps. I have never heard them but would love to. Do they put off a lot of heat? Have you driven tougher loads than your Amatis with them? If you are familiar with other tube amps, is the CAT house sounds similar to any of the other major tube brands? I am just trying to get a better handle on them.

I guess I did not answer you about the Cat house sound vs other tube amps. Well this is sort of strange, but the Cat amps do not sound like tube amps. They sound like great solid state amps in the bass with tube midrange and silk on top. Incredible dynamics both micro and macro. Some times you think they have an expander circuit. They have pop on drums like the real thing. I play drums so I found that startling when I first bought them. Also I have played them at ear splitting levels and never clipped them. These are the only tube amps I have ever heard that do not sound tubey. The bass is in a class few amps achieve, including solid state amps. I use an older set of KT 90's with Telefunkin driver tubes. They are also dead quiet. With the preamp muted, you have to place your ear right on the tweeter to tell the amps are on. Mechanically they are quiet as well. But they will heat a room.

Ken
Sonus Faber Amati,Sonus Faber Extremas, Sonus Faber Electa Amator MkI, Sonus Faber Concertos, Convergent Audio JL-1 amps, Cat Ultimate Preamp, Dynaco SCA 35 restored with EFB mod, , Basis Debut Vacum table, Vector Arm, Koetsu Urishi, Walker Motor Drive, REL Stentor II X2, Cardas Golden Cross wire, Resolution Audio Cantata music center, Nak Dragon, Nak 505, Teac X2000R, Otari MX5050BIII, Yamaha CT7000,Mac 4300,