Thread: CT5 versus ET5?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 11:11 PM

Hi.
I've owned CJ preamps for many years (PV10A, Premier 10, Premier 16LS2 and currently a GAT). My experience is that while all, with the exception of the GAT, have had some discernible noise that the amount of noise was never particularly objectionable and that with each newer model the amount of inherent noise was reduced.

I've had ground loop hums with all, however. The most recent of which was solved by using a cheater plug on an Oppo 105D that was connected to the GAT for movie audio. The Oppo was plugged into a separate power circuit which was different than the two dedicated circuits into which my power conditioners were plugged. I've had one occurrence of very serious preamp-induced noise with the Premier 16LS2 and that was related to a bad tube. Once replaced the system returned to its previous low level of noise.

From my experience, I believe that the problem is related to a malfunction in your ET-5 rather than a design flaw. I would let your dealer chase down the problem. If they can't, then I'd find another CJ dealer rather than throw in the towel on the ET-5 or CJ.

Good luck,
Mike