View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

I might prefer multichannel if multi-channel preamps were generally of the same quality as 2-channel preamps. Even the best of the multi-channel preamps aren't as musically satisfying as their similarly-priced 2-channel counterparts. There is also the issue of having enough space to properly set up at least five speakers of the quality needed to equal or surpass a 2-channel system in the same room.

For the record, I am setup for multi-channel with SACD and DVD-Audio (a silly format that won't allow for navigation of the disc menu without a video screen) through my Oppo BDP-93 into an Integra DTC-9.8 and using my Bryston 28B-SST2s and Martin Logan Spires for 2 front channels thru cinema bypass, and a Theta Dreadnaught I multi-channel amp for a Martin Logan Theater center channel speaker and Onix Rocket RSS-330 surrounds. On a few discs multi-channel music sounds great in my room, but not as good as my 2-channel setup.

I admit that my 11.5' x 19' x 8' room is not optimal for multi-channel music, and I can imagine someone with a top-of-the-line Classe, Bryston, or Anthem multi-channel processor with commensurate components in an adequate room might prefer the multi-channel. Especially on live and concert hall recordings. But then would those multi-channel systems sound as good or better than their 2-channel counterparts in the same or similar rooms?

Last edited by asindc; 08-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.