View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Stephen, thanks, I was inspired once again. What a great little amp! I’ll be sure to listen to your suggested music as well!

The HD600 and Valhalla do nothing wrong, of course it’s only by comparison to the Focal Utopia which cost multiples, more than 10x over the HD600 that I can say the Focal Utopia is absolutely stunning but the HD600 are a very musical and enjoyable headphone. I’m not going to part with my Senn 600. No way! I find the Val 2 and HD600 ultra smooth, warm and musical combination which is mostly due to the sonic signature of the HD600 itself. It is by omission only, not through any glaring faults or flaws. If I had to spend the rest of my days with the 600 only, I’d say I’m in good company.

About Schiit founding fathers. Agreed that Jason is brilliant but Mike Moffat also has some impressive credentials.

“I won’t bore you with our full CVs (that’s fancy-speak for wut we dun), but you may have heard of Mike Moffat. He was the founder of Theta (the first one, the analog one), in the late 1970s. You can blame him, at least in part, for resurrecting tube audio. He was the first person to use 6DJ8s in audio. He installed Philip K. Dick’s stereo systems. He sold amps to L. Ron Hubbard (no, you can’t make this schiit up). Then, in the 1980s, he became the Father of the DAC with Theta Digital. His DSPre was the first standalone DAC on the market, and it was a showstopper—its own digital filter algorithms running on Motorola DSPs so powerful they couldn’t be exported into the Soviet Union, for a start. Theta mopped up in the DAC world for several years, then Mike founded Angstrom, the maker of the world’s first upgradable surround processor. From there, Mike moved into entertainment, creating complex systems for digital movie distribution. At least until I tempted him away with Schiit.”
Oh, yes, Mike has very impressive credentials as well. I was just referencing Jason as he designed Valhalla 2 as well as Asgard. I think he also did the analog output sections of Gumby while Mike did the digital section and closed-form filter development.

I'm putting your care package together tonight. I've decided I'm going to send Loki, Trickster God of DSD for you to evaluate as well. It's one of Mike's designs and it frickin' kicks ass as far as sound quality is concerned. Especially considering it sold for $149.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.