View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 10:25 PM

So the GEC E3375 is amazing. Clean, clear, articulate, if a little light sounding. When I combine them with an RCA 6bx7 the sound is remarkable. Looking at pictures it does look like the E3375 and the GEC KT77 have identical plate structures though they do bias up differently. If the KT77 sounds like these I understand why people consider them a holy grail tube. The E3375 cost a lot less than the KT77 though lol. Unfortunately they now seem to be unobtanium, I can't find any at all. Still, I now have 6 of them and that should do me fine, especially considering how many other great sounding tubes I own lol.

I will be getting in a bunch of 6aq5 from Brimar and a French brand I can't remember. Will also be getting in some Telefunken El90 which as far as I can tell are the same thing as a 6aq5. The 6aq5/el90/6005 is supposed to be a slightly downrated 6v6 in a 7 pin tube. Since I like the 6v6 tubes so much I figured I'd try these vaunted marques. They aren't very expensive so why not?

On the other end of the price spectrum I impulsively bought a pair of CV1102 tubes. Along with my E3375 these may be the most exotic tubes I'll pout in my amp. They have the same pinout as a gf8g but have a noticeably higher heater current. Luckily Dennis made the KT88 Firebottle able to handle the 6bx7 which is even more demanding. Anyway, looking forward to trying some GEC input tubes soon!

I just got in a pair of Tungsol 6c8g tubes. They have the same pinout as the 6f8 but have a higher mu. I have heard that these have similar sonic signature as the other round plate Tungsol tubes. I love my round plate 12sn7 Tungsol in my preamp and so I'm looking forward to hearing what these can do in my amp. Stay tuned...