View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
I got to listen to these today. They just came in and Martin Logan is coming next week to dial them in for an event on Saturday. They were pretty impressive. Definitely HUGE!!! Now if I could just find that extra $80k I had laying around the other day.

This room looked familiar right down to every piece of equipment and then I saw your location. That has to be at the Magnolia across from the Galeria in Roseville. I was in that room last Sat. They sure looked nice with that wood at the bottom. I'm sure everyone is correct about the room being too small. Plus I think they haven't been optimally placed yet although the room is still a hinderance. The room has been treated.
This must all be true since my XRT1ks sound w a a y better IMHO and that's not what I expected. The XRT1ks have way more of an electrostatic-like treble than what I was hearing. I was rather shocked, really. One of the employees there has been to my house before and I said - " here, play this disc a few times on the Monoliths, especially Craig Chaquico's Summers End, which is all electric guitar, and then come over and hear it again; the Xrt1ks are sounding better than when you were last here " (been moving them around). So he's going to come over and bring another employee. I would think that the Monoliths would sound as good or possibly/probably better than the XRT1ks if given the chance. One is tempted to say they should or they better when considering that you could buy 4 Xrt1ks for the price of 2 Monoliths and have $10k left over, but we know that it doesn't necessarily work that way. Actually, that is based on what the XRT1ks cost when I bought them. They cost $10k more per pair now.
I know that McIntosh benchmarks their new speakers against the competition. Here is a picture of that.

Although there are Xrt1ks in the room, it looks like the other brands are there to compare with the XR200s.
I suppose the XRT1ks were compared to whatever Wilsons are at the same price point (now $45k/pair). I'm guessing Wilsons are the most popular comparison, but could be wrong.

EDIT I just reread that post and noticed that a ML rep would be dialing them in. I was there after the rep left... Wow...

__"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" apparently not Winston Churchill
_

Last edited by JMAC; 04-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.