View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 12:39 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston – Customer Feedback Bryston 28B’s

Mr. Tanner:

Recently purchased a pair of your 28B Cubed amplifiers. The 28B Cubed has remarkable timing accuracy. The same characteristic That reveals, previously unheard, tape "Blurbles" (immortal Solti "Ring of the Nielblung") also exposes seemingly "more" piano notes.

This is the only power amp that I know of that does this. Certainly little thought is given to a DAC kind of digital specification for basic analogue signal amplification. The interesting thing is that, for L/C/R systems, it is vital that ALL three amps are Cubed otherwise the less precise center channel timing will muddy the common L/R information. This then is my explanation of why my recent change from the 28B Squared to the Cubed center amp (3rd 28B Cubed) was so pronounced. Not sure how this "Timing" thing is perceived with other equipment. Logic would predicate that, for Digital sources, the DAC in circuit would be dispositive. I use two of Daniel Weiss' DAC1 MK III (electronically equal to his HiEnd "Medus") for L/C/R. Interestingly, when upgrading from Weiss' excellent DAC 202 to the DAC1 MK III I noticed a similar but less pronounced phenomen.

FYI I have used your Cubed amps to replace monoblocked (edit). However, at the dawn of the, unannounced, Cubed release I verified that even the 28B Squared amps were a substantial upgrade from my (edit). The (edit) Monoblocked) has a special reputation in certain circles. It presently lists for something like $30,000. However it might be more fair to compare your 28B Cubed to (edit). The (edit) lists for $75-80,000! A stereo amp it uses 40 output devices and is a somewhat upgraded '90s design. It will do 600 WPC @ 4 ohms and something like 1950 watts when monoblocked into 4 ohms. Most people have never seen a (edit) (a Bar Refrigerator sized Chrome extravaganza) in the flesh. But the word is that it is no match, in stereo, for two monoblocked (edit). Therefore, the fair comparison to two 28B Cubed amps (for $22,000) would be two (edit) (for $150,000+).

So don't hide your light under a bushel-market the 28B Cubed as a successor to all those ultra snooty and expensive Class A tubes and $50K Solid State Flagship amps.

Sincerely, Bruce Bisenz