Thread: 4K all the way
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Don't forget that major advantages of 4K go beyond resolution. They also include high dynamic range and expanded color palette.
I agree with you, actually. Resolution is only one piece of the pie, but I think it gets an inordinate amount of play relative to the other things 4K offers. The new tech is even referenced by its resolution because that will ring best with the public.

I have three obstacles to going after a new set: money, lack of content that I prefer (not big on movies generally), and the fact that my current TV still has an excellent picture with no hitches. I have a 4K-capable Pioneer Elite player, which I got in case I went for a new set, but those three obstacles are pesky and persistent. If I did spring for a new set, it would be because of the bigger screen.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks