View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
The LP70s is a better amp which includes better components (Teflon caps and Vishay resistors). Its more comparable to the Classic 60 SE in performance. It also looks better with a very nice case work.
Regarding the Classic 60 SE it should be all but roled off in the highs. It does need a lot of burn it to come to song (500 hours minimum). Because the Classic 60 SE uses teflons as coupling capacitors vs. the Classic SE preamp which uses teflons to bypass polyprop capacitors it takes a very long time to break in.
If you get a used LP70s you will save yourself the long break in time.
I was surprised about what I call the rolled off highs on the Classic 60 SE also. In reply to my comment about that, the dealer said that the SE floor unit I was listening to had somewhat fewer hours than the reg Classic 60. More interestingly, he said that the reg Classic 60 does sound brighter regardless. He attributed the apparent brightness to the lack of midrange in the reg Classic, which makes it sound brighter. I dunno. The SE just seemed much more laid back and soft. Yes, it just seems wrong, I was so perplexed that I checked the back of the units to make sure they had not been mixed up.

I also listened to the ET250S, a different animal obviously. It blew away both Classics, but its tonal balance was more like the non-teflon Classic. Unfortunately, they did not have an LP70s to audition. I expect it is quite a bit better than the Classic 60 SE, given the price difference. It's possible the Classic SE I listened to was not broken in enough, but i did get the impression it had at least 200 hours. Maybe it had hit the well known Teflon break in back step. My Classic SE preamp nearly drove me insane during break in with the peaks and valleys, but now I love it.