View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 10:31 PM

Dunno if this is by design or just pure luck but I managed not to blow up my amp despite my stupidity! Decided to swap out the Ken Rad 6v6 for some of the Sylvania 7c5 tubes I have. Popped them into the adapters, put them in the amp, and then... nothing. They didn't light up at all. Huh, they're duds? I bought them NOS but over a decade ago. Try another pair, same issue. well, those were both from the same batch as the first so maybe all of them are bad? Tried out a set of NOS Sylvania JAN 7c5 and the same thing. Hmm...

Then it hit me. The loctal to octal adapters I have been using are for adapting 7n7 to 6sn7. The pins are probably wired up differently for the 7c5. Doh! Did I fry my amp? I put my 807 tubes back in and everything fired up as expected. Whew! Ordered some 7c5 adapters and will report back...

Doing a quick inventory I found 6 7c5 and 20(!) 14c5 tubes in my stash. Also have some 6v6 and 12v6 in there somewhere. I'll try out the various flavors of 6v tubes in my current amp and plot a future use for the 12v ones. Just read that 6v6 tubes might sound more alike than different. If that's true that takes all the fun out of it! On the other hand, it means they will all sound pretty good so I guess that's a win

Last edited by Isaacc7; 07-22-2021 at 10:40 PM.