View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It depends on what you mean by an awful lot. There are many movie sound tracks that when played at reasonable high level would easily approach or exceed 75 watts. I agree that for the majority of music 75 watts would be adequate but far from optimum. I don't believe it wise to approach clipping for any amp tube or otherwise. A sensitivity of 87 dB is typical for a speaker like SabrinaX. IMO, a Mac 462 is optimum or a 1502 and most definitely what I would recommend. The great thing about Mac is that you get so much amp for the money.

I doubt that Wilson would agree that SabrinaX is bass deficient as you imply. No, first and foremost adequately supply the speaker with power, then add the sub. It is difficult to blend a sub smoothly with the main when the main is properly driven. When the main is not adequately driven, impossible.

Best

Charles
OK--just refreshed my memory--I can't remember if links to other sites are discouraged, but if you check out the rave review on Absolute Sound, you'll see clear reference to both your point about a need for power and my point about Wilson's conscious compromise on the low end. I did have the originals at home for a week--they were magnificent, but they really do need a sub if you enjoy rock