View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
Hey Straitwire, how difficult would it be to rewire the input tube of the KT88 firebottle to 12v? Or better yet, to put in a switch to choose between 6v and 12v? Is it the kind of thing that a competent tech could do?

I've emailed Dennis about the possibility of buying a new amp with that capability but have not heard anything back. I assume he is too busy with new toys to worry about redesigning a boring part of an existing amp lol.

I don't remember what the KT88 uses for driver tubes, but if you're looking to switch from say a 6SL7 to a 12SL7, it's not really possible without changing or adding a new filament transformer. Tubes like a 12AX7 or 12AU7 can be used with a 6V filament transformer because of an extra connection in the internal filament wiring that can then be used to wire the tube socket in either series or parallel, allowing the use of either a 6V or 12V filament transformer. However, 12SL7s don't have this extra connection, so the corresponding flexibility is missing.

I can't exactly speak for Dennis, but his time is so limited trying to keep up with demand on existing orders and models, that I doubt he will be interested in messing with a one off like what you are proposing. Someone else might be able to do this 6V/12V switch for you, but it would require not only adding at least one (if not two) extra filament transformer(s), but also some additionally switching circuitry...