Thread: Higher End DACs
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
right now, C1100/611s/B&W800 d3...I don't know how those pieces would be considered in a digital setup...but something about sticking a 2k-5k Lumin/Mytek/PS/Auralic/Aurender - just didn't seem as 'sexy' to me as thinking about some of these other pieces...but maybe that is more silly of me than not!

yes, the logic that for a spinner to be excellent it must have an excellent DAC is why I am still attracted to the Esoteric brand even when looking for a DAC. I just wasn't sure if spinning really wasn't any sort of factor if there were other brands/platforms (being more purpose built and/or more of my spend dollars just going to the streamer/DAC functionality vs a spinner/DAC) that could do better with the questions solely oriented that way.

I have a similar system to you (C1100, MC1.2KW’s and 800D3’s and my advice would be to try 2 or 3 options in your own system at different price points so you can hear in your own set up the differences - there is no point in my opinion trying to listen to different DACS in other / dealer systems.

FWIW - I went from using the DAC in the C2500 to a K-01X to being fortunate enough to pick up a mint pair of used D1’s (Esoteric) to match with my Esoteric streamer and have been extremely happy, particularly since adding an external clock. Each has added something to my system, albeit to a lesser degree as I’ve moved up in price. From my I’ve read, absolutely worth trying the Schiit or similar plus some higher price point options so you can decide for yourself.

Hope this helps....