View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinfather View Post
I just brought home a pair of 803D3's last night. Now to upgrade the amp. I have an old Krell 250/a3 running my front end. Any suggestions on what to use to replace it?
My 802d3's really benefit from having a beefy amp to drive the dynamics. When I was auditioning the 802s vs 803s, I thought the 803s would actually benefit more (they seemed more demanding of the upstream electronics to get the same dynamics I was hearing from the 802d3's).

I'm currently running a Classe 2300 (300W per channel) and haven't had a situation where either the amp or the speakers were breathing hard. I went from a Brystion 9Bsst (150W into 5 channels) to the Classe, and while the Bryston was no slouch, I thought the 802d3s really benefited from the extra headroom of the Classe's.

I'm currently auditioning the Benchmark AHB2 and doing a lot of A/B eval between stereo mode (100W/channel) and bridged mode (300W+ into a single channel). Too early to draw any conclusions, but it reenforces for me how revealing the 80xd3's really are, and how effortless they are with the right electronics upstream.