View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 PM

I heard the 30.7s again today. For about 2 hours mostly by myself to play whatever I wanted. I played a movement or a couple songs from a wide variety of classical and rock albums: Savall's sublime interpretation of Beethoven's Eroica, Harnoncourt/COE Beethoven's 8th, Kleiber's Verdi La Traviata, Pinnock's Bach Brandenburg Concertos, U2 Joshua Tree, Boston's eponymous album, Stevie Wonder's Talking Book, Allman Brothers' Eat a Peach, Led Zeppelin's IV "Zoso," the Rush album Moving Pictures, and Don Henley's Building The Perfect Beast.

Today's audition reinforced my positive opinion of this speaker. I always ask myself with components and especially speakers I hear - "Are these transducers revealing something new to me about music I've listened to all my life?" With the 30.7, the answer is a definitive "Yes!" There is a fullness of tone and a relative absence of stridency without any rounding off of transients. The mandolin in "Battle of Evermore" by Zeppelin sounded, well, like a life-size mandolin resonant with color. U2's Joshua Tree came out when I was a freshman in college. Hearing it thru the 30.7s took me back in time to when I just turned 19. Duane Allman and Dickey Betts individual guitar lines from Allman Brothers "Blue Sky" have never stood out with respect to each other as clearly as I heard them today.

I will say that Magnepan's in general have a distinct "house sound." All speakers and components do. There is a certain rose-colored tint to Magnepans to my ears, and the 30.7s certainly have a sonic family resemblance. They are not quite as neutral as my Vandersteen Quatro Wood CTs. But they sound beautiful to me.

So, what's an audiophile to do when experiencing such greatness? I said to my dealer "It's a matter of when, not if, I get these speakers." My thinking is I will buy them sometime next year.

Time to approach the wife with the idea...
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 09-19-2018 at 11:14 PM.