View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 11:03 AM
Go Dawgs

Default Audio Aficionado to invade Monroe, LA this weekend (trip report)

So in our never ending quest to experience the country's finest audio systems, Steve (SL1800), Mike (GW1800), and I have traveled to the fine state of Louisiana to hang with Tim (Timobi) for the weekend, but with some work to do as well.

The plan is/was that Steve was going to mount a cartridge on Tim's new Clearaudio tonearm and "train" Mike and I at the same time so we knew what was involved in cartridge mounting. Well, unfortunately somewhere between Tuscaloosa, AL (enemy territory) and Jackson, MS, Steve informed me that the cleaning lady had broken the cantilever off the cartridge that very morning. Unbelievable.

The second mission was to do a comparison between the Bricasti M21 DAC and the dCS Bartok generously loaned to us by Alan and David at Hifi Buys for the weekend. Thankfully that has gone off without a hitch since we are no go with analog for the weekend.

Here's a couple of pics crossing the Mississippi River. Pretty cool seeing the bluff where the confederates where firing on the Union ships with cannons (this is in Vicksburg).

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3