View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I have a pair of JL Audio F113V2 subs in my 24' x 26' "man cave", on a carpeted concrete floor. For the longest time I struggled with terrible bass, as the artist was going up and down in the registers, the room would contribute a single bass tone which was not at all the same as the artist's playing.

I have installed 10 bass traps and with the help of a calibration microphone and the Room EQ Wizard software, I have the situation much improved, but not "perfect". When I'm playing some music from Stanley Clarke or Christian McBride (where they are using a full-size, standup bass), there is still a little "boominess" in the bass registers.

Just for grins, when I could get some help lifting those subs, I thought I'd cut some 4x4's to see if that would make a difference, if so, order a pair of the sub stands in these postings.

Is this all worth the trouble?
I say yes! It's worth the effort. I also have a JL Audio f113 (just 1). When on the floor I had the boominess. As soon as I placed the sub on the Stillpoints component stand all boominese was gone and it integrated seamlessly with my VS VR- HSE speakers. I can only assume the Sound Anchor stands would be better.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.