View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander View Post
On US and Canadian MC452 amps, the correct way to insert banana plugs on the output terminals is the way you originally had them, inserted vertically into the hole on top of the lock nut (page 16 of manual). The banana plugs fit a little more than halfway into the output terminal. When you loosen the lock nut, the lower hole exposed below the McIntosh cylinder is for attaching bare wire, or a spade around the post the hole goes through. Although it may be a bit disconcerting to see some of the banana plug exposed when plugged into the top of the output terminal, quality plugs fit very snugly. I have tried both banana plugs and spades on my MC452 and both sounded great. I really could not distinguish a difference in sound quality and ultimately chose to use the banana plugs mainly for ease of connecting/disconnecting.
Maybe we have different manuals? I am reading the MC452 owners manual on the McIntosh web site. Page 16 does not relate to connecting speakers. Page 9 shows some bizarre looking banana connection I don't understand. What they show is some sort of adapter plugged into the top of the nut. Then they have the speaker wire terminated into some kind of connector that looks almost like an rj11 phone jack. Then, the wire connected to the weird connector is somehow affixed to the side of the adapter going into the top hole at an angle

Don't know about you guys, but I have no idea what they are trying to show there, and have never seen anything like that. It makes no sense to me.

I do think my system sounds better using the method we discussed here, running the banana into the hole like you would bare wire

Last edited by joey_corleoni; 11-20-2016 at 03:59 AM.