View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 01:06 AM

Default 14Bsst/2 - What is an audiophile?

Music can be heard everywhere. Its in our car, its at work, in our house or even just on the street being playing through what ever medium is used. In our house we have our systems playing. Casual, we just walk around our home as the system plays and very often it invades our thoughts resulting in nothing more than just a distraction. Smothering our real affection for what we yearn as a musical event.

An avid love of music is the only recipe that will set you down the road to listening philia. Its not until we engage the music played that it becomes more than a just a listening habit. Sitting down and engaging the sweet spot is when it goes from music background to a real musical event. Here is where the audiophile takes over. Enjoy all the listening nuances of the sweet spot and go buy better gear and you officially have come out of the closet. There are no stats, no numbers of any sort that will quantify you. You are ninja and no one knows what an audiophile really is but the person at the point of all musical information properly layered and powered to the point of musical bliss. You are alone believe me.

I have been on this road for decades on and off. Its comes with a lot of great moments of "this is it", i got it and my system is done.... I really believed for years that my kef 104/2 were the most musical and stereo imaged speakers you could buy (and maybe they were). Or maybe my tastes just changed. I went from a speaker that was loaded front to back to a high floorstander that is narrow and not deep like my AZ's. Its just my taste atm and i feel quite settled.

The most important part of an audiophile is experience is the source. Its plays the band, it just makes all musical information happen. The source is boss. Its just that simple. Whatever source you choose is what you will hear amplified through your speakers. Next the amp power and AC is the heart of the system. Your power is the absolute make or break when it comes to the soundstage. It also tends to be the most expensive piece in your system. You get what you pay for in power unlike digital front ends that have come down in price.

Not really interested in getting into component priority.

My 14B has really allowed me to hear my system amplified. I love the speed of my bdp/bda. I also love hearing the tubes in my Response audio pre. The 14B is nicely paced with its high slew rate. I really feel this helps the presentation i get. I have never heard amps quite like the 14B or the 28's. They power the soundstage and thats it. They really do not power their own brand signature. I don't agree with (a brand signature on these amps) at all. Engaging the sweet spot musical instruments appear and dissappear with no hint of power brand. The 4B is more brand sounding imo. As you move up the Bryston line you get a wonderful choke filtered approach that clears all noise. You get instruments infront of you and thats it layered and powered.

To me this is what power is all about and moving into more brand sound or colored sounding amps adds fatigue and bandaid presentation. Its imo the wrong way to deal with power.

After years i have finally found an amp that proves to be an audiophile approach - an amazingly powerful uncolored soundstage.