View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by med_designer View Post
Hi miatadan -

Thought I would chime on the pre-amp discussion. Here are my thoughts:

D1100
This is my current pre-amp and is simply fantastic. I was rather stunned how much this unit has improved my system which also has a MCT-450 and MC152 in it. The ability to resolve very subtle details and overall heft makes this a very well rounded unit. While all digital, one should ask how many analog sources are needed and if all those inputs on the other options would go to waste.

However, we still need analog and the obvious ones would be an external phono stage and perhaps an SACD player where you need analog outputs. If you don't need analog sources then the D1100 should be a top contender. I will be adding a Linn LP12 by summer next year and will have to account for getting the analog to digital but other than that the D1100 is a winner to my ears.

C70 vs C22 (reissue)
Between these two. the C22 speaks more to me and I was really considering one to go with my D150/MCT450. It checked all the boxes and has a great vibe. Tube preamp, phono stage for MM/MC, loudness button, tone controls, and I really like the looks of it. Paired with a MC152, MC275 or a pair of MC75's would be a fantastic option. The only thing you would have to account for is a DAC that works for you or you could skip it and just go all analog from your various devices.

The new C70 is very similar to a C22 and if you like the look and the features I am sure it will be a great choice. I think it is missing a few things like a loudness button and de-dented positions for MC/MM. Also, with the C22, the tape loop is there making for the easy integration of a unit like the Sugar Cube SC-1 for removing pop and ticks from vinyl in real-time.

All of these options are good. I just felt the D1100 was the best choice as the only possible analog source I will have is phono and there are many good options to get that line level output of a phono stage to the D1100.
Would have preferred the C22 as well and it is out of production now according to McIntosh on their facebook page , same time as MC75