View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Based on my experience with the X100,...;. I used it with McIntosh MCD1100 and Esoteric K-01X DACs. ...
jdandy, I am very interested to read that you use your Esoteric K-01x also as a USB DAC.

Indeed, I intended to buy a NAGRA HD DAC + a simple CD-player since 80% of my listening will be High-Res music files, 19% Red-Book CDs and 1%..SACDs, but... reading from the various reports from K-01x users, it seems that I could instead go for this 1 box Esoteric solution (CD + DAC).

but, this makes sense for me ONLY :

- If The K-01x when used as a USB DAC is at the level of those high End external DACs, AND has a musicality/emotion close to the NAGRA HD DAC (and far from analytic like the dCS that I did not liked because I use a BHSE tube AMP and a STAX SR009 electrostatic headphone, a very precise and analytic set-up which do not tolerate a dry & non-musical source. This is why I liked a lot the NAGRA HD DAC (hybride tube DAC) which bring a lot of emotion and engagement into my music, while TotalDAC, DAVE and dCS Rossini only bring details but NO emotion ).

- If The K-01x is also stellar with RedBooks CD, and not only with SACD (I almost have NO SACD, only CD).

so... is the Esoteric for me ? ( as USB DAC + a CD player ) ?

thanks for your advices

Last edited by bmichels; 12-16-2016 at 07:33 PM.