View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bill.......Thanks for the information on MQA decoding. I am no MQA expert, only someone who is marginally interested in MQA. I am certain those with interest in MQA appreciate your input.

Earlier in post #8 I said while playing Tidal Master files my Esoteric K-01X displays 16Bit/48kHz when playing Tidal Masters. That was incorrect. According to my Conductor App the Tidal Master files are playing at 24Bit/48KHz, and my K-01X displays shows 48KHz during Tidal Master playback. I played the CD version from Tidal of Fleet Fox - Crack-Up and the Conductor App shows 16Bit/44.1KHz, and the K-01X shows 44.1KHz. The same Tidal recording of the Master files shows 24Bit/48KHz as does the K-01X. This indicates to me that the first level of MQA unfolding is happening either in the Tidal software or the Aurender N10 processing. Again, I'm no expert, just reporting on what is happening with my Aurender N10 music server.
Dan - In no way am I questioning your first hand experience with the N10. From what I've read Roon is working on adding MQA Core decoding but in the meantime they are similarly limited to 48kHz playback of MQA files as you're seeing with your Aurender N10. I also saw an Aurender dealer stating that Aurender is considering adding MQA Core decoding to the N10 but they are in the feasibility phase. The Lumin U1 will have it soon and other Lumin players now have full MQA decoding or can provide MQA Core decoding and output via coaxial digital output to an external MQA rendering DAC for full MQA decoding. Hope this helps to clarify MQA decoding status a bit but it certainly isn't very straightforward! The article in Computer Audiophile which I previously linked to is the most detailed explanation of MQA I've found.