View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Small but significant enough discovery... I had four bits of 70 duro sorbothane in the corners under the butcher blocks on the main rack (glass shelves) and a few 'extra bits of sorbothane in middle etc.
This Morning I theorized letting the butcher blocks vibrate would be better than dampening the heck out of them...
Well I backed off on the dampening, and taking those extra bits off. Better sound, slightly richer?
So I moved the outer front pair so the front at 1/4 (16" deep, so 4" in at long direction edges) and the rear next to each other at the far back so they carried the same weight, but formed a triangle holding up the butcher block.
Basically letting the butcher block resonate as much as it can.
I would have gone with some less dampening material for the lift, but with the glass shelf under, I wanted at least some minimal cushioning effect.
So not a large effect. but seems to allow a richer sense playing piano music (I just did this, and am a little excited. (MY life, at 70, getting thrilled over little things)
(I am lifting the butcher block with everything on it! using a large flat screwdriver in a wide cardboard sleeve. Slide under the sleeve then just forcing the screwdriver between enough to leverage the edge up to stick a block in to hold up that side. Works great. No having to take everything off!)
(((ADDED: I had tried repeatedly to add a single pen blank to under the fronts of the main preamp and it's power supply biox, but then the treble would be accented a bit, with the mids recessed. Well doing the three point under the butcher blocks on the racks.. I added the pen blanks again for the twentieth time, and Ahhah! now good. One thing I have learned with fiddling with everything. NEVER give up on something, since some other little tweak may help and make the other one work)))

I have to say on the downside listening to not so great recordings (recently) has bummed me out. I am so thrilled with the incredible sense of realism on some recordings.. To then play something lacking this, sound like some boxed performance., clearly sounding like a stereo playing, instead of as if live. Hopefully I can get over it.
Like listening to Yuja Wang (PBS performance) ON THE TV and her performance was so inspired, I was getting goosebumps even though it is just the cheap tiny TV speakers! So I am hoping I get over the feeling of bummer on some not so great media on the stereo... I think it is just the wonder of how goods some sound... I want more of that, more often.. But maybe after I get more used to it ,and become satiated.. I can be happy listening to the average to not so good recordings again..

Added later.. An apology for adding.. I just learn new things, and I do not want to add another post. Thanks
An additional thing I have discovered. The 'pen blanks' do improve the sound some times. Depending. a variety of influences. But I realized tonight.. After finding ones I like, To actually file them so the sides are really FLAT, and parallel, matters! The pen blanks come generally with a square cross section, but they are typically rough cut. Smoothing and making the sides parallel improves the sound (when the initial rough pen blank wood did so.. just even better. One could sand them, but that makes a cloud of dust, and you really do not want to inhale the sort of dust exotic wood has (in general many are allergy producing) I use a old (new ones seem to not be as well made?) Hand file with curved mill cutting surface. Usually used on metal in automotive refinishing. Works well on hte unusually hard exotic woods, and the dust stays settled.
My current top wood is African Blackwood just one!! under front only of preamp and power supply on Walnut butcher blocks. OEM back feet directly on Walnut (What works best TODAY) but under Furman REF20 on top of the Maple butcher block I have to say Burmese Blackwood is really great.
Clearly I am having fun here.

Last edited by Beet Farmer; 08-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.