Thread: Bat vk-300xse
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
My previous VK-30 (standard 6922 tube model with upgrades other than the 6H30 tubes) was truly excellent. Interesting that you find the VK-250SE better than the VK-300XSE. Aren't both rated at 150wpc?

Have you done any tube-rolling? If so, did you like one thing better than another? Pretty thin selection to choose from with the 6H30 tube. I've picked up a pair of matched Sovteks to plug to try, but the prices being asked for the NOS tubes are silly.
Both the VK-300xSE and the VK-250SE are indeed rated at 150W. In a short listening session, the two are amazingly close to one another. With an extended session, I found that I was more relaxed when the VK-250SE was doing the "power amping" chores. So more than just listening to the music, it was about feeling the music, and it just felt more right. Please don't take this as me criticizing the VK-300xSE - I love it. I am actually quite impressed by how close the VK-300xSE is to the VK-250SE (and even how close it is to the VK-32SE/VK-250SE combo.)

I've not done any tube rolling. I've replaced the 6H30's in my integrated two or three times, and I've always gone with the Sovteks. I'm on a particularly nice pair right now. I haven't been able to bring myself to shell out the money for the NOS ones. I would have to hear them first before I spend that kind of money.

Last edited by BillBaird; 09-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.