View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Rel

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I helped a friend of mine hook up a 212/SE to his MC 402 and the final answer from REL was to use the low level input.

In their dozens of detailed online support pages:

https://rel.net/how-to-connect-my-rel/

they do not have a way to connect a fully balanced and floating amplifier to their grounded high level input. So even though they clearly indicate the low level connection is inferior, that's the only choice that works with the likes of the McIntosh MC 402 and MC 602. Other McIntosh amplifiers may be different and may work - I just don't have personal experience with them.

Tom
Yes , it appears to be an unusual situation with these particular McIntosh amps. It seems that the autoformer is being used as an isolation transformer. Common in surgical suites and boats. Seems unusual for a stereo.

So, in this case there is really is nowhere to connect the black wire to get a reference ground voltage - there is no such path.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 11-27-2018 at 02:58 PM.