Thread: Bird 2
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 11:43 PM

As an owner of the Bird 2 (there are only 2 pairs in the whole USA currently. My pair and one in a dealer show room), I can say that the Bird 2 have absolutely no bass problems at all with proper setup and associated electronics. In my full EAR setup, the Bird 2 sing in a full cohesive voice from top to bottom with no anomalies.

In fact, before playing with positioning, I used to play with the 3 position bass knob in the 0 or -1 setting. Sometimes it was too much bass and sometimes less. I repositioned the speakers and now am comfortably setup at the 0 position. There is an art in setting these up and they require care with associated electronics in a given listening room. I found my perfect sound signature with some tube rolling and now the sound is heavenly

Having said that, I picked the Bird 2 over the Coltrane line due to a sense of naturalness I felt with the Birds. The Coltrane II and Coltrane Tenors are extremely revealing, amazing speakers...yet I didn't feel connected to them over extended listening sessions in multiple setups. The Coltrane II's were fantastic and I would have loved to get a pair, but it would simply not match up in my modest sized listening room and not be kind to my wallet either . I preferred the sonic signature of the Bird 2 over the original Coltranes and the new Coltrane Tenors. The carbon / kevlar cabinets in the Coltrane line up seem to lend a further purity and speed to the drivers, but I constantly feel an unnaturalness in the sound as well. The dynamics are explosive, the frequencies are well represented yet there is a a slight disconnect in the listening to my ears. I feel that I am listening to a state of the art reproduction of the sound, but my shoulders never relax. I feel I have to be at attention ALL the time. With the Bird 2, I feel there is that balance restored. I can pay attention and get everything sonically AND I can relax after a hard days work.

Different perspectives. Just wanted to share mine as an owner.
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor