View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM

I’ll add my thoughts on hearing the Maggies last night:
- Bass was bloated and not very articulate.
- Mid-range and treble were very clean with plenty of detail.
- Transients and dynamics were excellent, very fast.
- Soundstage was very big, but imaging was not good at all. Center vocals were too big and amorphous, and images were spread too wide. As an example, on a jazz cut, the drum kit was so wide it spread across the whole front of the room.

I think the supporting equipment was excellent and not the issue. I suspect the imaging may be partly that I wasn’t able to get into a real sweet spot, and that panels tend to have less image specificity than point-source speakers (you guys with more panel experience will know better). I also think the room may have just been too small for these speakers, which may have contributed to the bass issues. Given the circumstances it may not be an entirely fair assessment, and since Marc points out that they were adjusting the setup until the last minute, they probably knew these speakers weren’t being shown to their best advantage.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 03-08-2018 at 03:00 PM.