View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Great. Had a couple of AK buddies in tonight, and one of them couldn't believe that I can power four stacks of Altecs with it. I haven't spoken with Dennis recently, but last I heard there was some kind of hangup with his chassis supplier, so things may have slowed down at the shop. Meanwhile, I'm hoping that Straitwire will layout and cut the chassis for my 3 tube per channel 71-A PSE soon...
How do you like the Altecs with the Inspire? I have some Altec components that need to find their way into a new application (4 x 414A, 2 x 802D, 2 x 32A). The 414’s have limited LF output on their best day, so I am confronted with the need to either get the most bass I can out of them or accept the inevitability supplementing with active bass (probably the direction I will go). Compounding the challenge is my limited available space.

A poster on another forum started a long thread on crossover modifications to a 9844B monitor. He ended up with a slightly modified N800F crossover (using a 806 driver) with the A19 contour network added. He runs them in 2.5 way configuration, with the second 414 brought in with a single inductor at 200hz or so. This thread inspired me to try the 414’s in an OB configuration. The second driver should offset some baffle loss (to a point) and keeping it out of the midrange will help keep the point source aspect of the main 414A. I can then cross over the 802D with the HF portion of Joe Esmilla’s 3Khz crossover/eq. A single 414A would run full range with the second 414A brought in as a bass Adder below 200hz or so. I expect the size of the baffle to be similar to a Magnepan SMGA. Impedance should remain no lower than 12 ohms or so, since the 414A is actually more like a 25 ohm driver over most of its range.