Thread: My B1s
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 07:18 AM

Hi folks. Well I find myself in the process of testing out Vivid Audio's customer service unfortunately. On the surface it seems like a petty thing.

While listening to music one of the dust caps on a mid/bass driver popped off. I don't know if anyone has seen the insides of a Vivid driver but even on the mid drivers the dustcap is like aluminium foil. Its super thin and lightweight. There is a bit of a groove where the cap sits but otherwise i have no idea how something so fragile is attached. When i picked it up off the carpet there was a slight crack and i found a 1mm crack on the rim at the back of the cap. I can understand how kids can poke these in. I have been almost religious about keeping people away from my speakers and i am even nervous about dusting them. It certainly makes sense that the Giyas have grills over all three front facing drivers. I know other brands like B&W seem to glue on their dustcaps but that almost seems counter to Vivids approach given the extremes they take to lightweight even the larger drivers. I guess ultra low mass means its a more responsive driver.

i have been in contact with my dealer and he is organising a new/replacement driver for me through the importer. Fingers crossed that all will be resolved without too much delay.

I have been very pleased in the past with the responsiveness of smaller hifi companies when things go wrong, and that can happen with the best companies. I think the real test is how well they respond when a customer has an issue. On that front I have been spoilt. I am in Australia and Naim Audio UK provided me with advice within 30 minutes of a fuse blowing on one of their XPS2 DR power supplies. Unfortunately it turned out to be an inherent "issue", but they did have a workaround which has kept me from further blow fuses, and they also sent me some spares (they were a very specific fuse).

My little issue only happened on the weekend but i hope to able to report on a positive outcome soon. Its just a little quiet round here without music, or alternately i could swap in the old B&W804s.

Last edited by Briz Vegaas; 07-29-2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Typos